I've become one of those people that can listen to the same song or album over and over. It used to drive me crazy when a former co-worker did that (in her defense she kept her music very quiet but the mere idea of her listening to the same song on repeat for an hour drove me a little nuts). But...I've found solace in The Shins "Wincing the Night Away" and can not stop listening to it. It matches the cold, dark, wet mood of the season but then kicks it up a notch with some happiness.
I can't wait until December 21st, where we reach the peak of shortening days and start down the other side.
I've never been much of a fan of gyms. I prefer just doing stuff outside on my own. This does not include team sports. I just don't have enough competitiveness to make them fun. Other people's competitiveness gets on my nerves. But who wants the chick on the softball team saying, "Come on, guys! It's just a game! Why bother keeping score?!" So...seeing how the season has arrived for Chicago to be covered in no less than a thin sheet of ice, running outside becomes tricky. I have no will power or desire to limit the amounts of delicious holiday foods presented to me. If I want to get/stay in somewhat decent shape, it seems fairly obvious that I should get some exercise. I reluctantly joined a gym.
I am in love with this place. Galter Life Center. It's truly amazing. It's got all the standard ingredients for a good gym experience. Nice equipment, a bright and spacious set-up, clean locker rooms, towel service, great classes, two pools, an indoor track, friendly staff and on and on. But...there are a few things that make it extra special. 1)It doesn't smell like gym. 2)The lockers are such that you set a code and it locks. You type in that code and it unlocks. GENIUS. Leave those 7th grade annoying little locks at home! 3)The people are amazing. An eclectic crew of all ages and abilities. My first time in the locker room, an old Korean woman and I smiled at each other. She said, "Today is special day!" I said, "Oh, really?! Why?" I figured it was her birthday or some such holiday. She said, "I exercise today!" She giggled uncontrollably and I joined her.
Then I was on the tread mill enjoying the cable I don't have at home, and two dorky dudes rolled a ping pong table out into the open area in the center of the room. I love ping pong! What a GREAT workout!
Perhaps the best thing about Galter is that the boy section of the gym is not intimidating. Every gym I've ever been to has this boy section. I suppose it's technically the "free weight section." I wouldn't really know though because I never step foot in it. It's always just full of guys, being serious, and occasionally accompanying their reps with disgusting grunts. I tend to avoid that section like the plague. I'm here to say that I actually WALKED THROUGH the boy section at Galter and didn't feel intimidated AND didn't hear any grunting! Free weights annoy me so I don't see myself actually using the equipment in there, but it's not because I don't feel welcome to do so!
Project Runway is on tonight and I don't get Bravo at home. Guess I better go to the gym.
No comments:
Post a Comment