Saturday, December 29, 2007

A Very Jersey Christmas









Food, glorious food. I've had a lot of it in the last week. In fact, a tin of mom's Christmas cookies are staring at me now, with their puppy dog eyes, wondering why the hell I'm having a banana for breakfast.

Christmas in Jersey was a great time. I got a headstart on the overeating on Saturday night at Avenue in Long Branch, the restaurant where my friend is the chef. First of all, the restaurant is right on the beach. I don't normally make it down to the shore in the winter so I sort of forget that it's still there making waves in December. Winter at the ocean is a very cool thing. Literally and figuratively. My friends, brother and I had one of those meals that I'll remember for a long time. Everything we had was delicious. Short ribs that were so full of flavor that a tear of gratitude comes to my eye just thinking about it. The steak tartar...wow. Even the side of brussel sprouts was a little bowl of tasty magic. And the wine. I know nothing about wine but I love when people who do suggest wines that will go with my meal. The reality is that most types would probably taste good to me. But I like to think that I do actually taste those oak undertones that pair nicely with the pappardelle. Or something like that.

My parents and I saw Sweeney Todd on Sunday. Loved it. Absolutely loved it. First of all, it became apparent to me that I have most of the show memorized. I saw it when I was in high school and then must've listened to the soundtrack more than I remember. The movie stayed very true to the show so I was able to sing along (in my head) with most of it. I thought Johnny's lack of singing skills might ruin it, but he was great. And Helena made an excellent Mrs. Lovett. The story is so fantastic in a Shakesperean tragedy sorta way. Tim Burton did a great job of creating just the type of dingy, creepy London town where one would tend to find a murderous barber and his sketchy pals.

The family Christmas Eve and Christmas Day festivities were a grand 'ol time. The usual blend of overeating, overexplaining the Yankee Swap gift exchange game and then screwing it up anyway, competitive billiards, and just the general hilarity ensues when you throw my family in a room together. If you haven't seen it in action, it's hard to explain. There's the comedy that happens because we all think we're hilarious, but then there's the real comedy that ensues because we're ridiculous.

Christmas morning began with my parents, two of my brothers, and I watching at least three hours of the Dog Whisperer. I'd never seen the show before but am now a huge fan. It made me want to get a dog just so I could try out Cesar's training techniques. Then my other bro, sis-in-law and nieces showed up, bearing Guitar Hero. I can't quite figure out why it's so addictive but even now, I really wish I was perfecting my skillz on "Hit Me With Your Best Shot." I think if I just played it for about 4 hours straight, I might be able to get up to the medium level.

Now I'm listening to my brother's annual CD compilation of some of his favorite songs from the past year. Good one, Joe. I really dig the Spoon tune.

I better go. I have a lot of Christmas cookies to eat before it's time to make a resolution to not eat so many cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment