One of the things I like most about my job is chatting with the afternoon security guard. We'll call him N. He's hilarious and friendly and puts a smile on the face of everyone who comes in and out of the building. A few months ago I asked N where he's from originally, which then led to me settling in on the bench in the lobby while he told me about his horrifying experiences as a Bosnian refugee. After detailing how he lost his home and community and everything he knew, he smiled widely. "But I am very happy now! I love America! I love Chicago! I have friends and a job and a home! I am very fortunate!" Way to turn that frown upside down. As usual, I left the building with a smile on my face, feeling fortunate to know someone who is clearly such a good, honest person.
Today he came up to my office. He never comes to my office.
He said, "Hello Mary. I come to say goodbye." Then he started to cry. Oh my god. My heart melted.
He got laid off. The building switched security companies. They were told this yesterday. N was told that he would be hired by the new company and could stay here. He called them this morning to make sure. They said- yeah- go fill out an application. He did that. He was told he was all set and could just report to work. He got here and someone else from the new company was at the desk. He called his boss and she won't answer. He thinks she's in the office but the door is locked.
The morning guy was hired by the new company. Something is very fishy.
N said, "I am good employee. I treat this company like my home. Why do they do this? She act like I kill her mother." True dat, N.
I gave him tissues, a hug and a typical pep talk that I truly meant, but it just sounded lame and unhelpful. Especially after he said, "Thank you, Mary. But I just don't know what am I going to do." How's about you hand me one of those tissues I gave you.
I might need to organize a building-wide protest. I'm pissed.
No comments:
Post a Comment