My cousin Marian, in her latest blog post, made a list of some things about her life that would've surprised her to know 15 years ago. She posed the question:
What would have been the most surprising thing a psychic could have told you fifteen years ago, about your life today?
My answer is too long for her comment section, so I'll post it here. Fifteen years ago I was in my sophomore year of college. Some things I would've been surprised to hear:
-That I wouldn't marry my then boyfriend.
-That I wouldn't be married or have kids, and that I'd be okay with it.
-That I would've lived in Oakland, CA for four years.
-That the Twin Towers wouldn't exist.
-That I'd still wear the Tufts tank top that Jim gave me when I was in 7th grade.
-That the US would be in the 5th year of war with Iraq, and that it many ways it wouldn't really affect my everyday life.
-That Arnold Schwarzenegger would be Governor of California.
-That I would try online dating. (It would've been no surprise to hear that if I did try it, it wouldn't be my thing).
-That I'd run three marathons.
-That my mom would still be playing tennis multiple times a week.
-That I would take a trip to Tanzania by myself.
-That that funny girl that lived down the hall from me would be one of my best friends.
-That I would learn to play guitar, write some songs and actually play them for other people.
-That I would love working with elderly people.
-That I could see myself settling in the midwest.
-That some of my closest friends were people I already knew, including my brothers, and that I'd gather up so many more great friends through the years.
-That I'd write on a blog. What's a blog?
All in all, after many moves and heartbreaks and weird jobs and the usual life stuff, I think I'd pleasantly surprised that on the outside my life doesn't look like anything all that amazing, but on the inside I'm pretty happy with where and who I am.
No comments:
Post a Comment