Thursday, April 14, 2011

Book reviews

I took a break from intense spiritual texts to read some light chick lit. For many years, I’ve seen ladies reading Jodi Piccoult books on the train. I was pretty sure it wasn’t my style of book, but I was curious. A number of people recommended “My Sister’s Keeper” to me, so when I saw it on sale at Salvation Army for 25 cents, I decided to make the investment.

At first I thought it may be bad timing to read a book about a child that has cancer. But part of me wanted to wallow in the sadness. It turned out, there was no wallowing. Just annoyance with every single one-dimensional character. And that ridiculously selfish mother. She was masterful at making absolutely every situation in life about her. It was as if her kid getting cancer was the highlight of her life because now she could have a real problem to brag about. Also, the writing was beyond corny. Two thumbs down on that one.

Then I read “Some Girls: My Life in a Harem” by Jillian Lauren. It’s your basic tale of a girl from Jersey that leaves home at 16, becomes a sex worker in NYC and then finds herself in a Prince’s harem in Borneo. That ‘ol story. I loved it. It’s not the most amazing writing but I was hooked (that’s what hookers do- they get you hooked! See what I did there!) from the beginning. Her description of a party with the Prince and his harem sounded a lot like a cocktail party on an episode of The Bachelor. In other words, misogynistic, bizarre and something I feel the need to know about. I need to put more tales of polygamy on my book list. It’s a recipe for page-turning.

And now for some really uplifting reading. My recent blog posts for the 'ol church blog:

Some thoughts on death!

Some thoughts on crying!

No comments:

Post a Comment