When I think about Khao Lak, in particular, my heart melts. I hate that it was a tsunami that led me to even know that lovely town exists, but I guess that’s how some things sometimes go. The community that has formed there since the tsunami is incredible. Volunteers from all over the world have gone to help. Some for a week, some for a few months, and others have relocated there and made it their home. Each person pitching in with their own set of skills- photography, teaching, construction, music, fundraising, or just good old fashion hospitality.
Here’s a little bit about Khao Lak from the blog my friend and I kept during our travels.
Khao Lak
I’ve been thinking a lot about this place over the last week. Apparently I wasn’t the only one. One of the women who worked with the volunteer group there, created an FB event today for a reunion in Khao Lak in December of 2014. That will be the 10 year anniversary of the tsunami. Seeing all the people responding…from all over the world…excited to reunite…it gave me some hope for the people in Japan right now. There’s a lot of bullshit in this world but I really believe that when it comes down to it, the good people outnumber the bad. We may not be able to prevent natural disasters, but I hope that something this tragic can bring out the very best in humanity. The recovery needs in Japan may be quite different than what was/is needed in the communities I experienced in New Orleans and Thailand but no matter the needs and the recovery approaches taken, there are opportunities to save lives, form new communities of friends, break down cultural barriers and expand worldviews.
I’m already looking forward to December 2014 in Khao Lak.
No comments:
Post a Comment