Thursday, September 13, 2007

Mom Wisdom

I tracked down the list of 75 Lessons I Learned From My Mom, which I gave her for Mother's Day when she was 75.

I often hear my mom's voice in my head reminding me of these and other important, inspiring or just funny things. As I told my mom when I gave her this, I'm so glad that the voice that helps me find my way through life has a Brooklyn accent.

1. Clean as you go.
2. Everything in moderation.
3. The recipe for sausage bread.
4. When it comes to shoes, bags and friends: Quality versus quantity.
5. Ya got along before ya met him, you'll get along without him now.
6. It's possible for a human being to maintain the same weight for 50 years.
7. Being healthy is easier than dieting.
8. Picking at zits makes them worse.
9. If you don't know the word, look it up.
10. Angle of Repose is a great book.
11. Cut off telemarketers and say, "Before ya go any further, I'm really not interested."
12. Finish your vegetables.
13. Old is a state of mind.
14. Singing and cooking go well together.
15. Don't be embarassed by your age.
16. When it comes to make-up and accessories, less is more.
17. Don't perm your hair (I hated this one when I was in junior high but I think she was probably right).
18. Stand up for what you believe in.
19. Help kids with their homework, but don't do it for them.
20. Keep a journal. They're fun to look back on.
21. The beauty of NJ is one of the world's best kept secrets.
22. The best way to be a good parent is to be a good person.
23. Volunteering is a way of life.
24. Don't tolerate pettiness at The Swinging Set.
25. Cheer for the underdog.
26. Grudges are a waste of energy.
27. Everybody suffers in one way or another.
28. We don't hate anyone, we may just dislike the things they do. (I hated this one too in junior high).
29. If you have the option, walk instead of drive.
30. Crosswords make you smarter.
31. Too much TV makes you dumber.
32. Life is too short to be taken seriously.
33. If you don't feel well, try getting some fresh air and exercise.
34. If you start something, finish it.
35. Tip well.
36. Say please and thank you.
37. Use sunscreen.
38. Save the receipt.
39. Save your photos and letters.
40. Appreciate art. From movies to paintings to Broadway.
41. Ella, Dinah and Sarah know where it's at.
42. If you think 42, just say 42.
43. Be proud of your accomplishments, but don't brag.
44. Think before you speak.
45. Total and a banana is the perfect breakfast.
46. Don't have the TV on during dinner.
47. Sunday dinner: family dinner.
48. Ask for help if you need it.
49. Do a dry run. Don't be late.
50. Siblings are a precious gift.
51. Make sure you turn off the oven and unplug the coffee pot.
52. Make people feel welcome.
53. Don't waste food. Finish the vegetables before they go bad.
54. Do whatever will make you happy.
55. Be a loyal friend.
56. Get to know the mailmen even if you call him by the wrong name for 30 years.
57. Don't let them fool you, New Yorkers are nice people.
58. Before you go food shopping, make a list.
59. Speaking of food shopping, don't go when you're hungry.
60. Write thank you notes.
61. Wear a seat belt.
62. Sometimes it's okay to let others think it was their idea, when really it was yours.
63. If you want something done right, do it yourself.
64. Don't underestimate the power or importance of a sense of humor.
65. Read to your kids a lot.
66. There's no need to talk to kids in a baby voice.
67. Stay up on current events.
68. If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
69. Don't cross your eyes. They'll stay that way.
70. Don't slouch.
71. If you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.
72. Make use of public transportation.
73. Pack your lunch.
74. Vote in every election.
75. Mangia.

No comments:

Post a Comment